Monday, April 4, 2011

Abandon ship!

So much has happened in the few days that I have neglected to post!  I will let you know that I put in a great showing at the FCA Girls Retreat.  Despite being in charge of the snack room, which consisted of brownies, cookies, rice crispies, more cookies and brownies, and chips, I was able to go the entire night without cheating!  No pizza, no sweets, just some veggies and fruit from the trays that were available and a bit of leftover lemon basil and spinach pasta.  Well i did have a bit of light ranch dressing with the vegetables, but if that's the worst you do when surrounded by literally pounds of junk food, that's not too shabby.

Saturday came with a new challenge.  As my husband and I traveled to my home town to spend what we were scared might be the last meeting with my grandmother, we packed some lentil soup, brown rice crackers, and a couple of bananas.  We made it through that day pretty well and then came home and I make us some Parmesan zucchini and baked asparagus.  That evening when I talked with my mom she was very concerned about my grandmother.  She was up all night in pain, talking to my deceased grandfather, and going on and Heaven and hell.  All of which are generally signs of near death.  We decided to go to bed and get up the next morning and go back.  This time, without any quick foods to take with us, we made a conscious decision that we would "cheat" a bit and grab a veggie sub at subway for lunch and then be home in time for dinner and for me to cook. 

To say the least it was a rough day.  All day long my grandmother was sitting up and then falling back, every time she pulled up she would ask to be shot and put out of her misery or would make other awful remarks.  When I'd ask what I could to do help she would go on about how ridiculous this was and that she just wanted to die.  She generally made little sense other than her rambling about wishing for death.  It was awful to watch, but I wouldn't give up holding her hand or the occasion joke she would make in a second of peace.  As I left, knowing likely this would be the last time I would see her, I kissed her face and told her I loved her and she said I love you Cienna.  As of today, she is still with us and is finally resting easier as they have finally found the right dosage of pain medications and have started to give them to her more frequently.  If you're the praying type, please keep our family in your prayers!  It's only been a few short months since we buried my grandfather, her husband.

Well after that stressful weekend and certainly an emotional day, I was in no mood to cook and mainly wanted some comfort food.  My husband was much too eager to give in and after a long discussion we decided to abandon ship on the detox for the mean time.  It was great, I can't wait to do it again, but with an impending funeral, graduate classes this weekend out of town, and a few other stressors, we felt like excessive food preparation wasn't one more stress we needed at the moment.  So, we ate  a bit of Mexican food and topped it off with some ice cream. (Just for future reference, don't do this, I was sicker than a dog today with low blood sugar, headache, stomach and general yuckiness.  You should slowly integrate foods and not jump head first because you're starving from a week of nothing but fruits and veggies!)

Despite our abandoning the detox we did have some great results from this week.  I lost 3 pounds putting my total weight loss up to 8 pounds since my adventure started and my husband lost 5 pounds putting him at a weight he hadn't seen since high school!  We do expect to gain a pound or two back as we acclimate to normal foods again, but my goal is still to lose at least 20, so I'm slowly but surely closing in on the halfway mark!  I'll try to be better about posting daily this week, but if all else fails I'll try to do some bi or tri weekly updates!!

No comments:

Post a Comment