Monday, April 11, 2011

Starting Over Yet Again

It's been a week since I updated my blog and so much as happened in that time.  On Tuesday afternoon we recieved a call that it wouldn't be long until my grandmother passed.  I found someone to cover my last period class and got to our home town as quickly as possible.  We all gathered together and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.  My grandmother lasted another 36 hours after they gave her the few short hours to live.  She was such a fighter even until the end.  I sat by here side all but just a few of those 36 hours and in that exhausting time, dieting certainly went out the window and grief came in.  Over the next few days there was lots of food brought to the house and tons of unhealthy goodies to help us cope with our loss.  In my grief and my stress I just let myself go and ate whatever I wanted.  I also had class which of course added it's own stress and the need to eat out while in another town.  Overall, I gained about half my weight loss back over the past week and a half.  Some of which was expected after the detox and the rest due to my grief stricken binge.  I'm still in grief mode a bit, the funeral is Wednesday and with that will come more food and more temptations, as well as more time to think about our loss.  Until then, I'm not going overly crazy with my diet, but am trying to stay within my calorie range and not let grief get the best of me.  We all know food doesn't change things, but it's hard to tell yourself that when you're missing a loved one!

It's time to start over again, thank goodness I'm not back to square one, just back a few stumbling steps and then we can begin this journey again.  Nothing too great to report today, just pretty basic foods such as cereal, a wrap and chips, a non fat chai tea, some shrimp, and then a pretty great spinach quiche.  So here is the quiche recipe, I haven't had time to calculate calories, but I did alter a previous recipe I formulated and made it healtheir without sacrificing the taste.

Egg White Spinach Quiche
1 package of creamed spinach
1/2 pound of turkey bacon
1/4 onion chopped and sauteed in bacon drippings
1 pie crust (I like the cheapest ones best)
1/2 cup of shredded swiss
1/3 cup of egg whites
1/2 cup of skim milk
1/4 cup of low fat ricotta cheese
2 T. of flour

Line pie pan with crust and spread ricotta on the bottom.  Then cook turkey bacon in pan on stove.  Add onions when you're done and saute in the drippings.  Combine, egg whites, bacon, spinach, onions, milk, swiss cheese, and flour.  Stir together until mixed and pour into dish.  Cook on 375 for 30-35 minutes or until cooked.  I've also used a similiar recipe but with greek yogurt instead of ricotta and sharp cheddar instead of swiss.  Both ways are pretty yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment